View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 05:06 PM

Default Stereo/panning issues with Mixer to Audio Interface

Hi, I’ll try and make this as clear as possible.

I am recording acoustic guitar with multiple mics and want to get a nice stereo spread with the multiple mics. I have an analog mixer (Yamaha mg12/4). I have been using the mixer going straight into my Mac 3.5mm jack input, then into Logic in the past and everything has been great, if I pan one mic left on the mixer it pans left in Logic etc (obviously the signal into Logic is a combination of all the tracks on the mixer, but I can still apply pan to one mic on the mixer and I will hear it panning in Logic.

I recently bought a USB audio interface (a Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2) because I wanted to see if the preamps improved my recording sound and also if bypassing the Mac sound card improved things, (and also because I wanted to make use of a compressor (behringer mdx2100) but I haven’t had chance to use this yet).

Anyway, so same as before I used a 2 mono L/R into 1 stereo cable, but instead plugged into the Onyx. Now when I use headphones either in the Onyx or in Logic I completely lose the stereo spread I’ve implemented in the mixer. As an example I’ll use just one mic and if I pan it far left on the mixer it it’s loud and central and if I pan it far right it completely mutes. There is no spread at all.

I want to be able to go from Mixer to Usb Audio interface and then into Logic, while keeping the stereo capabilities of the mixer.

Ive been getting very frustrated because I don’t understand where I’m going wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated