View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I think one can reach the same results with red tape or almost.

I've been re-installing my TA amulet many times these days and I came close to that at least once.

People: Push the volume up on your headphones, the Amulet sounds nice at very low volume but with an amp, you will push the volume harder... Then you'd notice as your ear response changes (see Fletcher–Munson curves) that the highs are problematic.

Actually I am relieved, that epoxy can not do better than that.

It is better than red tape since the tone being wide open but it is still quite bright compare to the acoustic tone..
Cuki, are you using the clamp to find the best pressure point on each Amulet that will yield the best tone? I don't understand why you're having to reinstall the Amulets several times when all you have to do is locate them where Trance recommends to put them per their drawing. Then, supposedly using the clamp, you can find the best pressure point on the Amulet that will generate the best tone. If anything, you can optionally locate each Amulet about 1mm to 2mm outward from being exactly centered over each group of three strings. One of the Trance drawings shows a slightly outward location of the bass Amulet.

I'm hearing the Martin HD-28/Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom combination as capturing the overall slight darkness of the HD-28's tone. If you're hearing some kind of weird treble artifacts in the pickup tone, these would likely go away with a less aggressive playing style and/or a slight nudge of the Tone Control away from it being wide open as it currently is in the demos. Also, likely these artifacts wouldn't be noticeable with 10 to 50 feet of air between a loudspeaker and a listener's ears.

My goal has always been to post demos that highlight the raw tone from a pickup with the thought that a potential user of the system will EQ and likely add effects to their taste. I think from now on, any demos I post will be EQ'ed, and as the phrasing usually goes, with a little added reverb to give it some air so as to start on a similar footing to most other demos out there. Maybe I'll even mic a loudspeaker instead of demoing the raw pickup tone into Audacity?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-23-2022 at 10:28 AM.