View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Ken,

All your threads have trigger my Pickup Installation Syndrom. So I've been re-installing the bass sensor of the Amulet MVT of my HD-28 for few days... and it consistently yield the same result... which is disappointed with regards of my personal standard. It still needs heavy high end cut with the tone pot to render something usable...

I did some interesting observations.
1) I measured the frequency response of the preamp for both channels. It's flat with just a highpass filter
2) It has a voltage doubler inside so it works at least with 18V power.
3) The mix button is not a mix button. It's a tunable gain for input A ranging from 0 to 14dB. Input B would be fixet in the middle around 7dB. so you get +/-7dB adjustment from one channel with respect to the other. The only detail the manual does not say is that turning Counterclock wise also increases the volume.
4) I did a bunch of measurement without the preamp with my 2-channel audio interface to be able to discriminate the contribution of each sensor.

I have a little idea about how to improve but I need to try it tomorrow...

I don't dare going for the loctite.

Right now my treble sensor is stellar sounding... but of course the 2 highest strings sound louder. My bass sensor sounds bad. It is too sharp, edgy sounding.

to be continued...
Cuki, Brilliant! Another thing Gary Hull of Trance Audio told me is that whether the Trance Amulet M Preamp is powered by a 9-volt Battery or 48-volt phantom power, its preamp is an 18-volt audio preamp which, I guess, supplies plenty of headroom to reduce or eliminate any "quack" or whatever an SBT is capable of feeding a preamp. I firmly believe that after having several Trance Amulet M products, the M preamp is "audiophile" grade as Trance claims it is and could compel some players to choose Trance M products and its onboard preamp as an alternative to "the non-invasive" feeling that is out there.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20