View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 08:41 AM

love this!

My first thought was that the Lowden was a better match because it seemed to have a more similar mid-range. But then I listened harder to the Greenfield and, what do you know, I heard more bass!

My other thoughts:

- TNAG's mic placement/panning doesn't feel to me as hard left/right as yours. You have the bridge/body mic on the left and the neck/join mic on the right - I'm guessing 100% panned. So the string-slide noise is mainly on the right. With Carl's mix, his left hand playing noise is more evenly distributed, much harder to tell which mic was left and which was right. Leading me to:

- I *think* that TNAG's mics are further away than 10 inches. I reckon they've got them more like 2 feet back. It's really hard to tell from the videos. I'd love to have a 'behind the scenes' look at their placement (and the rest of the signal chain and production!).

- You did a great job arranging for fingers, but Carl's pick attack produces such clean tones that affect the sound, so hard to get close to it.

- I think the 'reverb' mentioned by jklotz could well be reverberations from all those hanging guitars. And I guess adding a bit to your recordings could thicken the sound a little.

Thanks for this - it'll help with my next Carl piece (plus I did a test recording using another tip of yours, and liked the result - so I'll try it for real in the next few days)

Tom