View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 03:01 PM

Knowledge and science can never be bad in itself. People may misuse knowledge, though Usually happens when the knowledge is insufficient.

I remember when I started studying jazz. Up until conservatory I had mostly played by ear without knowing much about the theoretic aspects.
By the end of the first year I sounded like crap, and I didn't understand why. It dawned on me that my newly acquired theoretic knowledge boxed my playing into this...limited knowledge. My ears had been completely free from that, and they are obviously far more musically complex than my theoretic knowledge.
In the end, this (and more) knowledge obviously makes me better. I just have to be aware of how and when to use it.

Knowing what makes cables sound different on electric guitars is sooo much more rewarding than thinking it's magic, and that it costs money. Guitarists should all know about capacitance

I'm also an audio engineer by profession. Theoretic knowledge is essential, methinks. Just don't let it win a discussion with your ears!