Thread: "Apartment" amp
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Fender Mustang Micro was Reverb's #1 best selling amp of 2021 (even though it's a headphone amp. I've never played it before but to be a #1 best seller for Reverb it must do something right.
I have one. They are remarkable. So much so that I've used it to record with direct from the headphone out into a recording interface.

I also have a Fender Twin, which is "airier" and more open when recorded (but also needs a more extensive setup: proper mic placement, preamp settings, and then once you add in gain/overdrive either from the amp or effects pedals it just requires more setup).

The Micro is much easier to just plug in and record and can get you close to the real thing.

What stands out with the modeled amps is that they DO respond differently to different guitars and different pickup settings - so a strat, tele, LP, hollowbody, etc will all react differently to the same modeled amp (i.e. the Fender Deluxe setting) that mimics how the real amps respond to different guitars.

The one downside of the Micro with the sound is that it's more compressed than the real thing - i.e. doesn't respond as dynamically to your touch/picking. It's far from being flat or dead, but certainly not as 'jumpy' or alive as the real thing.

But for recording basic stuff and for silent/quiet practice, it's hard to beat.