View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Glenn,

That was fantastic. I love Paul Simon’s music and American Tune is one of my favorites. That song is quite a handful and you nailed it. Bravo!
Thank you Bob!

I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well! I always appreciate your comments and knowing you are watching!

American Tune has been one of my favorite songs for a long time, too, but I never spent the time it would take to learn this. I somehow knew I was going to have to memorize this song to get the whole thing internalized. I tried to record this with music in front of me on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The image of the Mayflower made me think of Thanksgiving... But while I had the guitar part down, I did not have the vocal part down quite right. Joining the playing and singing together takes some kind of brain synthesis that I just did not have down a week ago. I knew it wasn't good enough after listening to a bunch of trial recordings so I kept practicing every day.

This one took a while, but I have to say, watching Paul Simon play this live was really an inspiration. He seems so relaxed and his voice sounds so good.

This first one is with his steel string F30 Guild:

This next one is with a classical guitar. He is so in the zone here...

- Glenn