Thread: Your voice
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
From 1977 to 1983 I performed a lot as a solo acoustic artist doing 80% vocal material and 20% instrumentals. I never thought my voice was as good as my guitar playing so I was glad to form a duo in 1983 with a very good singer and songwriter (and sing harmony once in awhile).

Fast forward many years and I realized that I needed to have more confidence even singing backup, plus I wanted to sing lead on a few tunes as well.

I finally went to a voice teacher to truly learn how to use my voice - exactly the advice I would give to guitarists who feel like they are held back by their lack of knowledge/ability.

In less than a year, I've gone from being mildly embarrassed by my voice to having a lot of confidence and even singing lead. It was a huge and positive change.

Just as there are guitarists who feel they don't need lessons, there are vocalists who feel the same. However, I now realize the value - even though I resisted it for quite awhile.
This tracks my own experience almost exactly. I tried several online and DIY instruction programs but found there was nothing as effective- for me - as real-time, in-person feedback from an expert teacher.