View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

A little update, the dealer allowed me to change the strings and slightly adjust the truss rod to my comfort level to see if things helped. I got the relief lower but not quite as low as I'd like but reasonable.

I also got a stroboplus hdc tuner to help narrow in on how many cents off notes were to be more precise especially with the fretted notes.

After the string change im still finding he following:

Low E when in tune at 12th harmonic is 2 cents sharp at 12th (seems reasonable). 1st and 2nd fret are in tune. 3rd through 10th fret up to 5 to 7 cents sharp. Been making the open E flat a bit flat to compensate which I could probably live with.

A string when in tune at 12th harmonic. 10.2 cents sharp at 12th fret. Frets 1 though 11 are in tune to about 3 cents sharp. Frests 13 and higher are between 10 to 11 cents sharp. Turns out the A string is really whats driving me crazy more so than the E I initially thought.

The other 4 strings are pretty decent all around.

I tried to take the guitar to a shop Lowden recommend but the guy I spoke with said they can't change intonation on acoustics. Granted he wasn't a tech but I had little faith in leaving it with him to try and explain it to a tech. Especially after he eye balled the relief and played a few chords and said it sounded fine to him.

Just wondering if the amount off is reasonably able to be fixed with a good tech and set up or if those values are going to require quite a bit of irreversible change. Trying to get a feel before I take it to another repair shop. Again the dealer is being awesome about the situation and willing to take the guitar back and take it up with Lowden.

Thanks for the insight!