View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say, LOL.

I've been playing for 40 years and have owned all kinds of amps, BTW, including modelers.

How many different ones do I need to try before it's ok for me to make my own decision on what I like?
Well once again making comment and suggestion with no actual reference of history or context is always risky.

While I think there is no question that solid state is a viable alternative to tube for a number of reasons, even if all out tone is not one of them . But the video while is interesting, is not really very informative as far as an actual A/B comparison test.

Yes it's a blind test BUT unfortunately the pretty validity ends there. I think the only thing it possibly proved was something they (brought up in the video ) and then proceeded to ignore . That is the tendency is to prefer the amp that is closest to your ear .And indeed it ended up being the one close Lee.s ear that he preferred .

So there is that then there is the fact that for any A/B test even remotely valid blind or otherwise the least amount of variables needs to be in play . they unfortunately had a bund of variables in play some needless.

Which the reduction of variable would mean level matching output, and certainly would mean not having any effects like reverb going on, on any amps and definitely not have reverb going only on some.
Also the amount of time they took playing each one and then to switch to the next one as far to long Lee even states he doesn't like it when there is more than 10 seconds between switching amps , then proceeds to spend about 3 or 4 minutes on each amp before switching
Then there is the variable of each amp being played with a different performance and him switching pickups willy nilly and switching in the overdrive etc.etc.etc. There is just so much invalid in the method used as to be virtually useless as an actual comparison tool .........juss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4