View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFeStArTs@40 View Post
The D-16 IS a lot more money than what I paid for the D-1. I actually went to Elderly to buy a used DM (as is) and liked the D-1 better. For those that don't know, Elderly has a great repair shop and one of the techs there told me they really don't care for the DM's and the DR's. They tend to have more problems down the road due to their light bracing and it's their light bracing that gives them great tone right out of the box. He told me that the D-1's are much better built (for now) and ARE basically a D-16 with a stratabond neck.

Obviously, I bought my D-1 with my ears and not with my eyes or some spec sheet. For anyone interested, Elderly still has the used DM. It could use a good set up, a weeks worth of humidifying, and some strings, but its in GREAT condition and would make a nice guitar.
Was that a full gloss D-16 or a gloss-topped D-16GT. I haven't come across a full gloss mahogany D-16 but my local shop has a full-gloss D-16R and yeah, it's pretty pricey. I'd be looking at used 28's in that range. Meanwhile, I've actually been rather impressed by the mostly-satin D-16GT and D-16RGT. Both are nearly half the price of their full-gloss brethren and not that much above the 1 series, really.

FWIW, I don't mean to sound like I hate the new 1 series. It's just that Martin did a lot of line shuffling in order to make it happen as well as keeping the company afloat and eliminating models they felt either weren't in demand or were in direct competition with the 1 series. I used to be averse to the 16 series because of the micarta thing, but now that I've played a few I've changed my tune.