View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I still think they made a mistake by not calling the new version an X9, then bringing back the X7 with the neck and soundhole modification to tie it in aesthetically with the rest of the line.

The new and old X7 are significantly different size instruments.
I don't think they feel all that different size wise. You can sort of feel the difference in width and depth, but it's not a lot - it took me no time at all to forget about it completely. For me, it's a bit of an advantage because I don't hunch over as much when I play it seated on a stool - which I mostly do.

I think the biggest difference is the length of the body, but that's primarily just because they extended the soundhole down the neck to meet the neck at the 12th fret instead of the 14rth. That makes a difference visually, but no difference at all in how it handles, feels, or plays. The overall length of the guitar, from endpin to tip of headstock, is basically identical, or within a quarter inch or so. To me, the biggest difference is the sound from the perspective of the player, which is mostly just about the offset soundhole. I've been playing this one pretty much exactly as I played the older model except for being less hunched when on a stool. I don't feel any noticeable difference sitting back on a couch playing it, which some others have mentioned.

I really do see them as largely the same guitar, but with this one a bit of improvement for me, mostly in terms of sound to the player.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 12-09-2018 at 02:13 AM.