View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
5/64 E
4/64 e
12th fret
No wonder your strings are buzzing. That's standard electric guitar action. Way too low for a nylon string. Make a new saddle (or have one made) that is about 1/16 higher on the high E, and about 3/32 higher at the low E, and your action should be about right for a nylon string. Around 3/32" at the high E, and 1/8" at the low E is about average height. If you still have buzzing, you should dress your frets (or have it done).

I guess I'll be the one to say it: Guitars with low action do NOT need neck resets. A neck reset is usually only necessary when the action has gotten too high and there is no more saddle to cut down. Guitars that need resets never have fret buzz because the action is too high for the strings to rattle against the frets..

+1 on Erlewine's book. This will give you a firm understanding of repair procedures, and the symptoms that indicate which repair is actually needed. and it will save you from being berated here, because you won't misdiagnose your guitar problems anymore. It's a great book, and I promise you will love it.

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 04-27-2016 at 07:00 AM.