View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
...seems to me the truss rod in the neck should make it a lot more substantial than a lot of classical guitars with t-bars square rods ect...
An adjustable truss rod allows you to change the relief. A neck reset has nothing to do with relief. A neck reset is undertaken when the neck angle in relation to the body (specifically the bridge) needs to be changed in order to have the correct combination of bridge, saddle, and action height.

Quote:
...I agree the x-brace doesn't have much to do with it, but it should be more stable than a fan brace pattern...
That's not necessarily true.

Quote:
...It doesn't NEED a neck reset at this point, I could level the frets and redress them, I could pull them, level the fretboard and refret it, but something is going to have to happen because the sound @11. 12 & 13 is not acceptable...
Like truss rod adjustments, fretwork and neck resets are not alternative ways to correct the same problem.

Quote:
...I say neck reset because I think I could loosen the fretboard and pull the neck by only removing the 14th fret, which I am thinking would be less work than fooling with the (quite good) fretjob it got from Ibanez..
Again, I don't want to stifle your enthusiasm, but it's clear you don't understand some of the basic concepts required to setup and repair guitars. I'd suggest starting with a few books on the subject. Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair book would be a good investment. Perhaps some of the professional repairmen here could suggest other books.

The danger of not doing your homework and repeatedly suggesting outlandish remedies here is that those who do know the facts will grow weary of correcting every other post and will just stop commenting. With no one correcting you, you may assume your approach is correct.

More than you asked for I know, but I hope it is helpful.