View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm getting the feeling there's a difference in type and/or application of poly used on low-end vs high-end guitars, as more of the high-end folk are moving toward poly for what I assume are good reasons. I'm looking forward to learning more about the process, so thanks for bringing it up. Dale might know, as he's got guitars with nitro and poly.
I'm no 'expert' either, although i have tried to 'educate' myself on this topic as many guitarist do.

I think the biggest difference in my experience is simply aesthetic. I love the look of an aged nitro finish. I like 'honest' finish checking. I also like guitars that look like a million bucks new (PRS) for example.

The nitro on the guitars we tend to elevate to the highest degree is not what's used today on anything.

If given a choice i'd pick nitro more than not..but it would only be for the way that guitar would age over time, more like the true vintage guitars. It would have nothing to do with tone.

I like the brand new 'knock you eye out' guitars too...i don't think they age as well with the poly finish.

I think fantastic guitars are being made of both finishes today with poly be far more popular.

Since you were kind enough to ask, after 45 years of guitars in my life my overarching thought is - buy the guitar(s) that moves you, speaks to you, makes you want to practice and play it - however you want to say it.

The finish will not make you sound better if you never work at the craft of being a guitarist. Nobody will be moved, or care about the choice of finish on you guitar.