View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
This is going to be one heck of a guitar. Really pretty.

I’m trying to understand the function of the neck extension pocket and the plug.
Can you educate me a bit?
Thanks! I'm just hoping the sound lives up to my expectations
Well I can try...

I'm clearly not the out and out expert on topic, its my first attempt to use this neck joint but as I see it the neck extension has a very useful purpose and to me it makes a lot of sense.

If you have a typical bolt-on neck (without this neck extension system) the fretboard is glued to the neck but sticks out from the 12th or 14th fret over the top of the guitar body. You have 2 options, either glue the fretboard down or let it flap around.

If you have a bolt-on neck with this neck extension, the neck itself is effectively extended by the length of the extension. The fretboard is glued to this area as well and leaves only a very small amount of fretboard 'free floating'. This small area is now stiff enough not to have any wobble.
Because the fretboard is now glued down, but not to the guitar body, it stays flat yet allows the neck to be removed easily.

The extension, and thus the fretboard, are held down and in place by 2 vertical screws that run from under the neck block extension up and into the neck extension/plug along with the 2 standard bolts that run into the neck.

If you can't follow my description there are plenty of useful images around on google regarding the bolt-on bolt-off neck joint, also i think that there are some pictures of the same system in the Dion Guitars build thread in the Custom Shop section of the forum, if not there are definitely pictures on his Instagram page.