View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It's coming along very nicely.

A word of caution regarding method. It is inadvisable to leave that much overhanging waste on the top and back. It invites splitting the top and/or back along the grain at the extremes of upper and lower bouts. (Don't ask me how I know this. ) As you become more assured in your work, you'll find you don't need to leave that much excess - an 1/8" or so is more than enough once you have your processes sufficiently controlled and are comfortable with them.
Thanks Charles
actually leaving that much overhang was for a reason,
a) on my previous build it seemed my mould actually stretched or moved significantly and it ended up such that i was lucky i had left so much overhang because if i hadn't the top would barely have fit. I was probably paranoid of that happening again so I once more left plenty of overhang, but this time round my new mould is much better, it definitely won't move or stretch and is much more accurate and so in the future you're right i can probably leave less overhang
b) the bandsaw in the workshop i go to has a very deep blade, its at least 1 inch possibly 1.25 inches. Its pretty tricky to cut anything but the shallowest of curves with it and that makes it awkward to cut close to the outline of a guitar and also without ripping chunks out of the underside of the top when cutting across the grain, although that could just be the brittleness of the redwood i was using here. I don't remember so much of that happening with the spruce.