View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
I imagine that most know this goes without saying, but not all Somogyi apprentices are putting out the same sort/style/tone of work. As Juston has pointed out, there were significant differences between the Kraut Mod D and the Kostal Mod D.

Michi is constantly experimenting, so not only do his instruments sound different from other builders, but they often sound different from each other, because his bracing and build parameters are radically changing.

I've had an Ebata, and personally, didn't care for it. It didn't last long. That was my preference; these things are subjective, not objective.

All that to say that if you want a Somogyi, you need to save up and get a Somogyi. Buying a Kraut or a Kostal or an Ebata (or Matsuda, Beauregard, etc.) doesn't get you a Somogyi for 1/3 or 1/2 the price. It gets you a Kraut, Kostal, Somogyi, etc. And given that, you'd be wise to play each of these. They're taking things in very different directions.

Generalities are just that: general.

-Brett
Good point, Brett. I've only played one Matsuda and the three Krauts (all at this year's show) and I found them all to share the same resonant bass. Absolutely gorgeous voices on all three. The Kostal was really a different beast altogether. There was much more focus on the mid and upper range and the bass seemed more along the lines of what I am used to.

Even though playing a Somogyi is on my to-do list, I couldn't work up the nerve to ask Ervin this year. I'm not even sure if anyone was playing the two guitars he had on display, but the way they were displayed suggested "don't even think about it, Tire Kicker," which is obviously what I would have been doing. So I don't know how Somogyi-y all these guitars are, but they are certainly unique and beautiful sounding instruments, and they reflect an absolute mastery of guitar voicing (in my humble opinion). My guess is that one day someone will be asking how Krauty are those Eichelbuffer guitars?