View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 11:19 AM

I have had and used a T5 since they came out in 2005 and Doyle Dykes used to demo them at Taylor Road Shows. The T5 is a T5 - it simply has its own tone. Once you get that, it becomes easier to get tones you want. You can’t coax a dread or auditorium sized acoustic tone out of a T5. You also can’t coax a Strat/Les Paul or Tele tone out of the T5 either. It just is what it is.

The AT is a different animal. I agree with everyone that it is made to be more acoustic and most of its modeling is geared towards that acoustic tone. If you approach the AT like the T5, it will allow you to appreciate its own tone. It is just a matter of whether that AT tone is what you like or whether you still want to bring an acoustic or other electric along to fill the gaps.

Brian S from Taylor designed the AT at Fender. I always thought Taylor could have done more with the T5. I added a K&K to the bridge plate and used the upper strap button for the output, making it a T6. Before that I had installed an Element Active and used the same strap button. I think Taylor could have been more creative and I suspect that Brian S. Wanted to take the guitar in that direction and did so with the AT.
Great to have choices!