View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
I think it’s entirely possible that this underestimates the damage done to the fundamentals of an organized society. The Internet, personal computers, and cell phones are in the process of revolutionizing our society including the revolution in “working from home.” WFH was thought to be a temporary pandemic phenomenon. Temporary. It’s not. That humans can (and will) isolate themselves cannot, in my opinion, serve to keep humanity up to speed on dealing with the peculiarities of their fellow humans. I think this is already evident in the obvious decline in civility. And decline like that cannot be good for the future.
Well anything is possible but "the damage done to the fundamentals of an organized society", is an unsubstantiated assumption of premise based on a totally subjective perspective,, which is predicated on the notion that more WFH (which has and will, no doubt increase) and the inevitable change in behavior patterns ---will cause people to "isolate" themselves in a fashion that will prove to be negative to society ..

I think it is also pure speculation that the lessening in the amount of time workers spend having to deal with frivolous and often socially negative office politics (which can foul work environments and reduce productivity) ,,, is a bad thing.

The reality is, civility has always been a facade of society not an inherent aspect. (the notion of the good old days is a myth)
I suggest any increase of incivility, is much more related to #1 a reflection of the proportional population increase and more people = more rude people,, or the "Rats in cage syndrome". #2 Is more a factor of people being tightly clustered, than being isolated.

#3 And a far far more concerning than any increase in isolation do to tech,, and any increase in incivility is ,, the rise in acceptance of intolerance , much of it stemming from the fear based rhetoric prevalent in the in large in person gatherings , where the speaker spews bigoted diatribes of blame on others, and vomits fact-less nonsense , and the mindless sheeple audience, laps it up . If you want to be concerned about "damage to the fundamentals of society " , and the future of our society,, you might focus your attention there.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-30-2022 at 07:25 AM.