Thread: NMD
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I'd say not better but different. My Silverangel isn't the best for bluegrass, but you can do that. The chop packs a punch, but SAs are not treble machines. But what a difference between my SA and the Eastman MD 505 it replaced. My problem with the Eastman was I had chances to play Collings, Northfield, and the odd Weber and Gibsons that came through. Once you hear a good G course, it's hard to go back.

I have no illusions to ever get to the good stuff. I played an Ellis once, at a mere $9000 used. That was the gateway to Gilchrist, Dudenbostel, Gibson Masters and such.

But I'm happy to have my Weber to play everyday, with my homebrew, SA, and 1913 Gibson A1 filling the gaps. Would I sell out to get one stellar mandolin? Perhaps.

The Facebook mandolin group is a hoot, with a lot of folks looking to upgrade to a Kentucky KM 150. Ignorance can be bliss. Trust me, don't pick up a Northfield F 5S if you never intend to spend that much. The F5 S is a true value in a fine instrument. I'm hopelessly addicted to the scroll. Don't do that if you want money in the bank.

Bottom line. I would sell my SA, but then I play it. Great neck. Nothing comes close for the money. I can not see anyone coming from a Kentucky or Eastman being disappointed, unless a bright tone like a Collings is your thing. Then double your money, buy one and forget the pain.

PS, my Silverangel is likely to be the most resonant and warm sounding of all SAs, it being redwood topped and X braced. I'm sure the spruce topped tone bar braced are brighter, though Ken will never abandon his love for lush low end.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 04-03-2022 at 03:03 PM.