Thread: nuts
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
That High F# you mention( High E second fret) Has been my number one complaint. Never understood why. Thanks for clarifying this. Especially a problem for myself since I use so many variations of the D chord in combination with E chord and its open High E string.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

Look at the table towards the bottom that compares equal temperament and Just tuning. The right-most column gives the discrepancy in 100ths of a semitones (cents). Note, for example, that the equal temperament major third is 15 cents flat compared to the Just tuning we hear as in tune. Practically, that means that if you tune the guitar to equal temperament the F# in the first position D major chord will sound 15 cents sharp. A good ear can distinguish between pitches 2 cents apart: 15 cents is way out. Consequently, many will lower the pitch of the high e string until the F# sounds in tune in that D major chord. That makes all of the notes on that string 15 cents flat. If you then play an E major chord, the high e will sound flat. We end up chasing the out of tuneless around from one key to the next.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 09-16-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Corrections, in red, pointed out by Trevor Gore