View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 PM

I need to state that before I took up guitar I was an intermediate level pianist and a semi-professional trumpet player (regional symphony, jazz band). I took up guitar as a mid-life crisis—less expensive than a Corvette and less dangerous than a young blonde.

I started with lessons in a community class at a local college. Classical instructor who taught a number of styles. Followed with about 2 years of individual instrution, then went through a couple of methods including Noad and Shearer. Latter has really good DVD’s which were helpful.

That has carried me to be an intermediate level guitarist who can play musically. I can play what I want to in a variety of styles: classical, jazz, Celtic. I am at a level that I play in a trio with another guitarist and a cellist, and I have done some “house concerts” at Christmas and other times.

If I wanted to advance as a dedicated classical player, then I would seek out individual lessons, even if only on a monthly basis. Some of the technique is best learned “one on one.” There is no substitute for that, IMO.

I am currently learning viola as a late life crisis (age 60) and I have weekly lessons with a teacher. Fundamentals require hands on instruction, IMO.

Jon