View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I have no doubt that the newest ES is an improvement over the earlier versions but it is still the same basic design - a magnetic neck pup and a magnetic coil SBT (there are 2 bugs & the neck pup in the earlier systems). If you really hate the earlier versions, I wouldn't expect you'd love the newest one and I would recommend going in a different direction. If you sort of like the earlier versions and are looking for an improvement rather than a replacement, then the Taylor ES upgrade is a good direction to go. The upgrade is a chunk of change even if you do the replacement yourself. From what I read this is fairly easy to do if you have the 9 volt version but requires significant cutting in the tailblock if you have the original 3 volt system.

Bottom line, if you hate the ES period, I wouldn't do the Taylor upgrade. A different system based around a UTS or a different SBT would be a much better direction for you and won't cost much or any more than the upgrade. If you like the ES and don't care for the other systems out there but still wish it was better, then the upgrade may be worth it to you.
I figured I try the upgrade. I did the install myself. Not that difficult. Needed a dental mirror and snake light. The parts were $150 from Taylor. I had to talk them into selling it to me - understandably
You're right I'm not happy with this newer version either. I don't think the difference is dramatic from the old verson. I'm still hearing much of the same.

Last edited by AlRob; 01-22-2012 at 07:37 PM.