View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Gretsch View Post
Um, frankly, most originals are pretty boring. Good composers are few and far between while guitar players who quite mistakenly think they are good composers are a dime a dozen. I'd way rather listen to someone play a decent version of a good tune than someone working his/her way through some pile of cliches they "wrote."
I have to agree with this too. In my own experience, I really have not written anything that I would want to bring out for anybody to hear. The standards, for example, survive the test of time because they are really good and do well in many different musical settings. Out of any musical era, there come a relatively small portion of what music was created that will withstand the test of time and become that era's "standards". A strong melody, decent harmony, good solid lyrics, these things (done well) will sound good in a variety of musical settings from fingerstyle to solo chord melody, to full orchestrated production. I do not seem to have the ability to create such music, and really don't know if it is a "talent" to begin with that needs to be developed or if it is something anybody can develop. I do know that I don't have the desire to work to develop that skill (nor do I sing...) and am perfectly content to instrumentally "cover" a good song that somebody else wrote, instead focusing on developing the musical vocabulary to do that.

Regarding YouTube, I don't seem to have the desire to get involved in YouTube and make videos of myself playing. On occasion I have put up MP3s on a box.net account for some people to hear, and then taken them down. I just enjoy playing guitar and don't need to prove myself to anybody. I played in a band full time for about two years (6 nights a week) back in the late 70s (like a lot of people here, so nothing special about it) and decided it was not what I wanted to do with my life. I also played lead guitar in a church band for about three years and have occasionally done some other musical involvements since then. For me, it is a hobby and as long as I enjoy doing it, it will continue to be a hobby. I do enjoy following links people post here to their YouTube offerings though.

Tony