View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
printer2 wrote:
"...try to shoot for the same stiffness and weight as a wood top."

The problem is that CF composite is much denser than wood, and has a much higher Young's modulus. A sheet of CF that has the same weight as a wood top will be too thin to be very stiff, and one that is thick enough to have the same stiffness will be too heavy.

Back in the '70s some folks at the Catgut Acoustical Society worked out a spruce substitute using CF. After some experimentation they found that thin layers (around .002" or less) of unidirectional pre-preg tape on a cardboard substrate about 1/16" thick made a good substitute. They ran into two problems:
1) with changes in humidity the cardboard would swell and shrink, but not the CF. Eventually (a few months) the CF would delaminate and come off in ribbons, and
I was thinking to use just carbon for sound board of the guitar but my question is what shell is do one layer of the strongest carbon or mix value of carbon stiffness of layer of the less stiff carbon or more ofcourse I will use the bracing

I know that I will need to try to reach the optimum construction but I'm sure that some one already done it so advice will be more then welcome.