Thread: k&k must go
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Installing a Trance over a previous K&K install is very likely not to work - the Trance tape does not like the superglue residue from the K&K install. Some people report they can sand down the bridge plate enough to make it work, but it's not a slam dunk. If you're having a luthier doing the work, and he's willing do a lot of sanding, it may work. My attempts have failed. Trance themselves say it is unlikely to work.

It's hard to know what the issue is that you're having, but in general, SBTs are a bit pickier about interactions with the sound system, and therefore may require more EQ work to sound good than an undersaddle. That's going to be true of just about any SBT, K&K, Trance, HFN, Dazzo, etc, etc. Also, the K&K is sensitive to impedance, so if you're plugging into different systems and getting different results, that may be a factor. A solution to this issue is to have your own preamp/DI that you can rely on.

Do you need to have multiple guitars? If you like the way the Taylor works amplified, maybe a 2nd Taylor?
Thanks, Doug, I somehow missed the previous superglued installation of the K&K system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20