View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
When I first started down this road it was a time-consuming chore to get clean sounding comp tracks in Pro Tools. Just about every edit resulted in clicks or pops that you had to zoom all the way in on and correct with the drawing tool which didn't always do what you wanted it to do. When crossfades came along, it really cut down on the time it took to comp tracks. And now there's auto crossfades and it's even quicker.

But that *@&# drawing tool... the only way I got it to work was if I made a quick, smooth, sweep, and even then it was very hit or miss. It wasn't unusual to have to attempt the edit 4 or 5 times before you got a smooth line that wouldn't introduce another click or pop.
Yes, there's an art to how to paste in an edit or part of a different take without hearing a click. There may be some YouTube tutorial that tells a person how to do this, but I just figured out what to do through trial and error. I learned a few tricks from watching my son manipulate Cubase when we have done some projects together. These days I think I could do an edit without introducing any noise 100% of the time, though maybe I'm kidding myself!

When I worked with a team of 14 men and women running an engineering group, we learned so many different things from each other, especially when it comes to manipulating software. I really miss that kind of thing. Working in isolation has some disadvantages, although not getting interrupted constantly is one of the pluses.

- Glenn