View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 AM

Default Binding and Rosette Ideas

Hello. I've been following this forum for many years and there is so much talent and so many dream guitars being made all the time.

I have a luthier working on a dream acoustic for me and I am starting to think about binding and rosettes. I am going to let him take the reigns and throw suggestions and I value his input, but it might be nice to come to him with more ideas.

The top will be carpathian spruce. The sides and back will be african blackwood. A very dark, tight grained set with some subtle brown within the black.

I love very minimal aesthetics but complex, especially with the rosettes. No shiny stuff like abalone, shell or anything. Wood is the star. I like wider rosettes and I've seen so many on here with kind of a fractured broken glass type look with different woods.

I love spalted maple and purple heart and very dark black like ebony.

With this info, do you have any suggestions for a binding pattern or some great example images of rosettes for inspiration? Any other woods that I may want to think about for the binding or such that I'm not looking at? The neck can either be one piece, 3 piece or 5 piece. It is going to be mahogany. Should I consider anything else? the strips in the neck I guess will match the binding. Not sure what would look best with the top and side woods.

He wants me to send ideas over and we can talk further, but I like being overwhelmed with knowledge so I learn what I don't know to ask or suggest or think about. I hope this makes sense and appreciate any and all suggestions.