View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I might have to look at those StewMac shims.

A luthier friend of mine doesn’t think it makes much difference but online I read an article which talked about how a neck or neck pocket can deform over time as the pressure pushes the neck down on the credit card, business card, or in my case a part of a plastic conference pass holder. He recommended fashioning a maple (in the case of maple necks) shim according to the shape of the neck pocket and then plane and sand it down to the right thinness and angle. This is way beyond my next to non-existent carpentry skills so almost the very day I got a mail from StewMac advertising their new maple shims I ordered a pack.

Even with postage from the USA to Sweden it was really quite cheap. Having a maple shim that fits the pocket exactly and tilts the neck at the right angle just feels like the right solution. So far the guitar feels and plays extremely well, way beyond the price I paid for it, including new bridge (I don’t like the classic 60 saddles) and shims.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden