View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG View Post
When you guys find a microphone that works for you does it tend to be closer to the sound you want without eq or does it tend to be a mic that “take eq” better to give you what you are looking for. I started off making the mistake of not finding out what a given mic would sound like after I finished processing the track. Some sound better to me by say brightening them up vs a mic that starts off brighter but harsher.

What say you guys?

George
For me also I prefer closer, without EQ . However given most of my productions involve multi instrument and voice I almost always use a high pass filter with a pretty steep drop off at somewhere around 50-70 hz

As far as terms like "bright or harsh" it is always subjective of course and depending on ones interpretations. But in my mic search (much more limited in numbers than say Chris or Doug) in general (not always) but in general, seems to me the less expensive especially the Chinese MFG LDC's ' do often tend to be bright and quickly harsh in the mid-high, to high end .
Where as often when you get into the more expensive LDCs that may be known for "detailed" high end, while they can tend to be subject to sibilance considerations,,, BUT not necessarily "harsh"

The examples of "Air" but not harsh from my personal experience are my Brauner Phantom V FET and my ADK Z Mod 251 Tube . To my ear on my voice they provide a "3D-ish" Air to the top end but are not really harsh... I do however have to be aware of sibilance when singing. BUT for me in mixing , I prefer to use a narrow Q, one band, automated, EQ cut on say any spitty "S-es" than to have to try to EQ IN air and presence, that is not in the original recording.

Any yet it is kind of opposite in terms of guitar mics I have had a pair Of Shure KSM 44's which were actually quite good , but moved on to a single Schoeps CMC6 - MK 4 that was excellent (but not a pair, do wish I still had it BUT ) Ultimately however I sold the Schoeps and settled on a Pair of AEA N 22 active ribbons which are perhaps better characterized as smooth in the high end (which for my use and on my guitar/s is good)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4