View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You say that like it’s a BAD thing...

As I’ve said, I don’t actually hate em - that’s an emotion I save for the Cowboys and Yankees. Once the Pats get over this current reign, they’ll just go back to being inconsequential - I’m just tired of them, as are most fans in the country. I have huge respect for them, have repeatedly acknowledged I think they’re the best in NFL history just based on the length of their dominance. But, yeah, there’s a certain Darth Vader quality to the team that I’ll be glad to see Brady finally age out of excellence and BB just get old and hang it up...

The Cowboys and Yankees hate runs deeper - it feels permanent, and I’m not gonna apologize for that either. But of course it’s comic book hate - I don’t wish them any actual harm - just repeated professional misfortune. Actual hate I reserve for a very small handful of historic and current figures on the world stage who I believe are actually evil. And I’m not sure if even that is actual hate, but I definitely hate their actions.

Good point. I never disliked the 49ers or the old Steelers teams when they were great either. Or the Lombardi Packers, who were my childhood Colt’s arch-rivals. But the Cowboys I actually did/do hate and I’ve gotten thoroughly sick and tired of the Pats during their reign. It has to do with the personality of the 49ers, Steelers, and Packers - coaches, owners, stars. There was some real joy and personality to those teams that even someone who wasn’t specifically a fan could relate to and enjoy (when they weren’t pummeling my team!). I almost always rooted for the Steelers and 49ers during their runs, even though they weren’t MY teams. Never the Cowboys, not the Pats these days.

The Patriots and Cowboys in their heyday are / were a cold, lifeless, ruthlessly efficient bunch who only their mother’s (and those tied to them by geographical fandom) could love. They’re the current embodiment of the No Fun League. Hate is way too strong a word, but I definitely don’t like ‘em, and in a game that’s fundamentally there for entertainment, that’s bad enough. I’ll stand by that and own it.

-Ray
LOL. Don't even try to reason with the rabid Pats fans. They want to justify their success by putting themselves in a weird "us against the world" mindset. I understand it because the Steelers fans are often this way.

I'll hand it to NE, they run a tighter ship. THAT'S the key: discipline. The rest of the league is sheer buffoonery. I was hoping that "athletes" would have kept off Dancing With The Stars before the SB though.