View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Let's not get romanced by the video.

He's got 3 mics up there, so unless there's info from somewhere else that states the Cascade is the only mic being used.....no, it's not a cascade demo.
This video is on the Cascade site as part of their advertising. There's a second version labeled "Cascade Demo", showing each mic as it's being used. And cycling thru for comparison, with an AKG 414 as a reference. (Incidentally, to me the 414 reference parts sound quieter, perhaps a mistake, or perhaps a deliberate attempt to make it sound weaker? You can also really hear the difference in the stereo when the X-15 kicks in. )

In any case, a stunning performance, perhaps making the case that performance trumps gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5RpjAHK3I

Summary from the You Tube info:

This is a video demonstration of 4 different models of Cascade Ribbon microphones on an acoustic source, in this case a Tony Francis Weissenborn played by Thomas Oliver.

The 4 microphones are a Fathead I, Fathead I + Lundahl Transformer, Joly Edition and the X-15. We also recorded a vintage AKG C414 BULS as a reference microphone.

We recorded 3 takes all to a click so the mic's could be solo'd over one video. There are small visual sync discrepancies. (if you look hard)

In each take we recorded the 414, the demo Cascade in question and the X-15.

The audio cycles through each of the mic's and them all 3 at once, it does this 3 times once for each ribbon. Fathead I, Fathead I + Lundahl and Joly.

It was recorded @ 96k in Pro Tools HD 8 thru Aurora converters, pre amps are Buzz Audio Elixirs.

Recorded by Troy Kelly @ STL Audio Wellington, NZ
www.stlaudio.co.nz

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-17-2011 at 07:12 AM.