Thread: New gear
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I haven't been chasing the 'latest and greatest' but I have been upgrading the 'level' of my gear and filling in gaps over the last few years. Recently I've been taking pretty big jumps in the gear I get, but it's usually used and not newly released designs. It's mainly been mics and external analog gear.

My needs, and level of playing, don't justify the upgrades but this is a hobby I enjoy. There are a lot of ways to spend time and money on hobbies, and I figure it's enjoying it and not justifying it.
Hey ChuckS,
I may just have to incorporate your wise saying into my stock of wise sayings. " I figure it's enjoying it, and not justifying it"
Or maybe simplify it a tiny bit...." I'm enjoying it, not justifying it" yep, I think that will become my new wise saying. Thanks ChuckS...I like it!
My main wise saying is a modified version of the prolific Rolling Stones song,
" You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need"
Well I modified that a tiny bit...
"Sometimes what you think you want, is not what you really need"
As I gain my recording ears...this has run so true. At first, I might like one kind of sound because the notes jump out at me. Then later I realize that longterm..the notes that are exaggerated...& long term tend to grind into me.
Smooth, Even,( which sometimes at first might be called = a bit boring)...is really what I need.