View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Default restored 1929 SS Stewart Professional

looking for anyone that may have info on the pictured guitar i just restored. 1929 SS Stewart Professional Archtop. the older gentleman i bought in from said it was in his family since purchased by his great aunt. states it was made by Gibson. I know it could of been sold via B&J or chicago instrument co ?based on date, but unable to find any markings ( i even had to reset neck and no marks there or any visible from the f holes.) I know there were many makers for the SS Stewart brand: Gibson/harmony/regal/etc. im not sure where else to look. the label on headstock is identical to early ww1 models ( same labels used on the old stewart banjos of early 1900) any advise on where to look, ive exhausted most online opts and guitar stores in canada. the underside of top has no bracing (super sounding with no dead spots) very similar to the Loar designed L-5s in 23-24 before he left gibson and they went more mass produce quick/dirty. the birds eye maple and tortoise shell inlays indicate a very high end guitar, but im guessing now and have spent hundreds of hours researching to no avail...any info or input would be appreciated

Last edited by ssstewart; 04-23-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: updated info