View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 PM

Well, I invested in a new saddle and grips for the old Trek 4900 and did a couple of 25 mile rides on it since. My underside is the better for it but pedaling is still a lot of work. On my last ride - which was an organized event around rural roads (with some loose gravel) in Northeast Ohio - I started strong but that was mostly downhill. By the end of the ride it was more uphill and my stats dropped off significantly. I'm glad I opted against doing the 40 mile ride.

We have entered in two more 25 mile organized rides - and possibly may enter a third - this season. The route meanders around the many hills and turns within Pittsburgh city limits but I got through the one we did last year with the expected discomfort. Even though they're on streets I still prefer going with a cross country/mountain bike over a dual sport/hybrid though. Despite my complaints of discomfort my biggest complaint is that I'm bored riding the same route over and over. I may be too old and out of shape to be a dedicated mountain biker, but there are many wooded and gravel trails through the local parks that I'd like to frequent more.

Today I went to another Trek dealer and tried out a 2019 Marlin 7 in a 17.5" frame with 29" x 2.2" tires. Even though it's the same "size" as my 15 year old hardtail the geometry is much more comfortable. It was almost as much as an "aha" moment as when I went from playing my "lawsuit" Tak to trying out a Martin HD-35. Also, I tried a 2018 Marlin 6 last month and the new 7 is definitely a huge step up - especially with the new non-tubular frame construction. It's also much lighter and much less cramped than my 4900. My only gripe is the plastic pedals.

As for selling a guitar or two, most were gifts and unfortunately I've played them pretty hard too. Playing/singing is just as therapeutic as riding and I'm trying to build the courage to audition for a small gig at a local grocery store cafeteria and have been building up my repertoire/endurance to go for 3 hours. I could potentially kill two birds with one stone if I push myself outside of my comfort zone.