View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 10:52 AM

Hey Steve and Richard. . . YAY. . . good to hear from you guys, too. I've been catching up on some other threads and see that my long time friend Marc Durso posts up once in a while. I'll have to let him know about this thread.

This forum is rich in history, that's for sure.

I love this industry. Just about everybody involved in it is creative and helpful. I mean, where else do you see practitioners sharing their work so openly; warts and all.

Blanchard and I went to Gryphon one night for an Al Carruth lecture on free plate tuning and Frank Ford did the intro. What he said that night, which was back in the 1900s, has stuck with me ever since. I won't be able to quote him, but the gist of it was him explaining that sharing techniques, openly, isn't a matter of leaking secrets, it's the best way to raise the level of skill for the entire industry, because after all it's just information; the luthier has to take it and actually go out and do the work.

Also back in the 1900s I was intimately involved in the surfboard building industry and well, let's just say, I didn't know one shaper or one glasser who spilled his secrets to anybody!

The luthier's art is anything but cut throat.

Keep it alive, you guys, it's a beautiful thing.