Thread: Gone Ampless
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 08:03 AM

I don’t question any of the technology, the tech is great. I’ve been on board with modelers since the original POD, and they just get better all the time. I use amp sims for recording all the time at home. But I do question the human factor. Are you running your own PA? If yes, and you can carry a PA, you can carry an amp. If you’re using the house PA, well, the house PA is always the problem, because you’re trusting the sound guy to make you sound good. Doesn’t matter what you’re putting into it if there’s crap coming out of it. The venue is also a big factor: if you’re playing a place that’s polite, like a wine bar, the patrons are going to hear some of your nuances and you need to sound good. If you’re playing in a noisy sports bar, most of that room is going to sound like just what it is: a noisy bar with some music in the background. All your careful tweaking and pristine IRs won’t mean much in that scenario. There’s no doubt that carrying your whole rig in one trip is a beautiful thing, but it’s not the answer to everything. If I don’t have control of the PA, I’d much rather have my own amp, so I can control that, at least.