View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Hey, Geo, thanks...

actually, I lose the form a few times and a lot of the playing is slop! Still getting used to "pickless" playing.

So, my background...started playing at 12...rock stuff...took lessons for 6 years...did a little classical. Took theory classes in college, played in pit bands for musicals...jazz training mostly on my own, with a great mentor, who wasn't a guitar player, but a piano player. Ran the studio where I teach lessons two days a week...I'm a full time high school art teacher, and I run the school's small jazz/r&b/gospel band. Most of the jazz stuff I know I learned "on the job," sink or swim type stuff. I read music pretty well, but do a lot by ear.

This tune...pretty straightforward...a mostly diatonic tune...kind of.

I'm playing it in E minor...it's also common to hear in Gm. The original and gypsy jazz key is Em. Gm is more the standard for boppers. Gotta know both.

Generally, I'm using diatonic extensions on the non-dominant chords...the Em can be an Em7, 9, 11...same for the Am. The beginning suggests more of a G major sound, so I use the #11 on the Cmaj when it pops up (always cool on a IV chord).

The B7 chord is the fun one in this tune...most charts will say B7b9...any time I see an altered 9th, I try all other alterations too...b5, #5 (b13), and #9 too...chances are, they sound good too...really opens up options.

here, I'm using mostly arpeggios and chromatic passing tones. On that B7 I use both harmonic minor and melodic minor ideas-- both from E...but instead of visualizing a melodic minor scale I really see a B7b13 chord...

that's a start...feel free to ask about specific stuff...I'll try to figure out what I did

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz