View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 09:27 AM

I've gone through several of the great little brown topped guitars you mention.

Some have been through the hands of some of the members above as well. Some go for obvious reasons, some I was kicking and screaming. Two are 'cold dead hands' worthy, so far.

00015SM - body too big but incredible tone. Simple dovetail.

0015M - neck too small in thickness, nut too narrow but incredible tone. Would consider buying again. Simple dovetail.

015S from LAG - very similar to above. Simple dovetail.

0017 Authentic - neck too big but closest to vintage tone I've played. Kicking and screaming, but it was obvious that it needed to go. Traditional dovetail. I considered whittling down the neck width, still question why I didn't.

017 (12 fret reproduction from Vintage instruments in Philly) neck too thin, kicking and screaming. Simple dovetail.

1953 0017 - currently own and LOVE IT. I'm doing ok with the 1 11/16" nut width - the neck thickness helps with that. Straight/tapered bracing allowed for being pounded and not minding too much. Cold dead hands.

1934 017 - currently own it and LOVE IT. 1 3/4" nut with and thinner neck than the 0017 with combined with bar frets and vintage neck carve is dreamy. It makes me want to find a scalloped 0017 from '40 or '37. Cold dead hands, will probably end up with my favorite child.

Guitars to consider:
Gruhn Custom 015 Pattengale Special - I haven't played one but I think it would be a great option tonally. 1 11/16" nut, traditional dovetail neck joint, adi top, etc.

The vintage tone is king. I attribute it to the old wood, bracing, and neck joints.