View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 05:22 PM

What a bunch of grown-ups!!

GC, you should go ask this question at GearSlutz where I can pretty much guarantee you'll get a ton of authoritative responses specifying exactly which vintage Neumann you _must_ have to make an acceptable recording <grin>.

I would add to all the mature wisdom dispensed above, that recording takes practice. I wish I could specify what to practice, but I definitely noticed that after doing it a while it got easier. So be prepared to put in some time before expecting the magic to happen.

One thing to think about as mentioned above, the recording is very likely to be accurately conveying what the mic hears, so think about ways to change that. Try lots of different mic positions, try lots of different room locations.

Volume level seems like it should be easy, but it ain't. Many of us listen to lots of _mastered_ recordings, then expect our raw tracks to sound like those mastered tracks. But they shouldn't. They _should_ be much quieter than a CD or mastered download track. So record at a reasonable level, well away from clipping, then adjust your playback volume to match your reference tracks.

Many people have gotten lots of great advice from the recording gurus around here by uploading a sample clip somewhere and sharing it. There have been some terrific threads based on that in the past.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog