View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Portable Recorders

Aloha,

Great advice here.

Since you're a beginning acoustic guitar recordist here, perhaps you should check out the new Zoom H-1 when it arrives in a couple weeks. It's simple and under $100. But you should check out the others mentioned AND other brands so you can appreciate and learn the differences among them. For point and record, the H1 or H2 would be a decent place to start cheaply.

However, IME, all portable recorders still have serious limitations at this point, but they're getting better. And they are great for capturing moments like concerts and parties, and for getting into recording your guitar as a newbie.

There are pros & cons, as with everything. You'll either think they're great or not such a great value, depending on your goals and uses, and what you choose. There is also a huge difference in the quality of manufacturing - Sony's vs. Zooms for example, IMO.

Cons: Crappy preamps (the "sonic" killer for me in terms of being satisfied with the sound), difficult to read & complicated menus (even still w/ the H4n), inability by most to handle two balanced X-L-R or 1/4" cables for better condenser mics (except the H4n), problems being read by more than a few computers, unprofessional (unlike studio quality) final product quality no matter what processing you do on a DAW, etc. As mentioned, there is also a problem w/ hyper-sensitive "line" modes. Sometimes difficult to quickly determine the recording levels on the Zooms. It all depends on your the uses, purposes, goals & ears and knowledge of how to use portables.

Pros: Very handy & portable, simple 'point and record' for H1 & 2, surprisingly good sounding built-in mics, ability to drag files to your computer and share quickly, ability to capture spontaneous events and music. Among the Zooms, the H4n gives you all the monitoring options you'd need.

I was at a great music party last Sunday evening at which the bass player captured the night with his Zoom Q3. But the party was outside on a lanai and the video failed to deal with the shadows & uneven light. The music sounded OK for live, reflecting the weird mix of equipment, acoustic/electric and styles. It captured all the wind noise as well.

If I were to choose among the Zooms you inquired about, I'd wait to hear the new, very afforable H-1. But for the best recording options and sound, the H4n provides the most options among the Zooms.

I would probably get one of the Sony's if I cared more about portable recording. The differences between them and the Zoom's is like night and day -but so is the price. You should try out more portables than only the Zoom's, IMO, such as Olympus, Edirol, Marantz, Tascam (the DR-1 is a very cool unit), M-Audio, Korg, Roland, Yamaha and of course, the Sony's.

Remember, the popular items on guitar sites like these often reflect a bias towards what's cheap - in this case the Zoom's - and not always what's better or best. So check 'em out for your own knowledge's sake, OK?

If you want to capture good guitar sound on portables, you should also get an adaptor for a MIC STAND or buy the stand & other accessories that Zoom offers - LIKE WINDSCREENS - to achieve the best "sweet spot" placement & wind-free quality you can get for stereo miking of an acoustic guitar.

Good luck with your search.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-01-2010 at 10:41 PM.