View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I've been using RAID for well over twenty years. I use RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 5 depending on the use. I use RAID 0 ONLY for things like Photoshop scratch disc - because it's the fastest and, more importantly, there's never going to be anything stored permanently on a RAID 0 pair (and yeah, you can have more than two but most are just doing two). If one drive fails in a RAID 0 array you lose everything on both drives and that's not an acceptable risk for me. For all my working files and projects, I use a two drive RAID 1 - both for Photoshop and for Logic, well I did for Logic until the new M1 Max with its super fast internal drives arrived. That is backed up daily to a separate 5TB external Time Machine drive.

And finally for long term storage and archive I have something like 40 TB of RAID 5 storage, with each array being duplicated so there are two arrays, each with the same data and each of which that can lose a single drive and still have the array rebuilt.

No drives last forever but some configurations are more prone to risk so you need a thought out strategy to guide you to making the best choices.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386