View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeo View Post
My set up has got to be pretty bad as I'm merely laying the TLM 102 near the edge of a glass table (no mic stand, shock absorption stand). The mic is about 12-14 inches away from the 12th fret or so on this recording.
IG
The soundcloud sample is far from the worst recording I've ever heard, but yes there's a little more room reflections than I'd like and a little more low and low mids. Bare concrete blocks are going to give you a good deal of reflection and one way or another you'll want to tame those.

But your description gives us another huge factor. Your bare microphone is sitting on a hard surface (glass table) likely acting as it's own diaphragm. Microphones, particularly sensitive condenser microphones want to pickup vibrations, and that glass table is will transmit that to your microphone's housing and into your recording. You don't want that. You should have it in a shock mount on a stand, but literally anything will be better that what you have your mic sitting on.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....