View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Here's a question to ponder...

Today, if you are presented in a room with a dozen D-28s or OM-28s do they all sound the same to you, or do some sound better than others? They have been built to dimension, but have wood sets (tops and backs) with differing properties. I suspect that there will be some as a result that will sound better to you. Do you think that the ones that you didn't like as much 70-years later (or assuming the top treatment simulates that) will sound better than the one's that you liked when they were new? My point is even with a treated top, like any factory guitar you need to play a bunch of these to find one that you like. The pleasing euphonics of the degradation process does not overcome the fundamental structural differences. The process cannot overcome that basic limitation of a factory process.
My understanding of the Authentic line is that they are all built in the custom shop and are essentially hand-built. I would bet money that they are tap tuned, whether Martin admits it or not. Not run-of-the-mill factory guitars at all. True, they are not built to a specific person's ideal specifications or tailored to their individual playing style, but it's really not that hard for most of us to choose among the various models offered for one that will work fine.

My experience with torrefied guitars so far is that I hear a distinct and immediate improvement in sound over a similar model without it. I think it's as noticeable a difference as that between a solid wood guitar and one with laminate back and sides - not a subtle difference at all. Maybe it's not as great a difference as buying custom-tailored vs. ready-to-wear, but that's not really relevant to many of us. And why not both, anyway? I wonder if Bruce Sexauer or Howard Klepper would build with torrefied wood if it was requested and they could acquire it?