View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tribes View Post
Thanks folks for all the great input!

Regarding the pinky on the body thing. When I learned 'very' basic fingerpicking in my youth, the teacher instructed me to plant the pinky on the body…and that's stuck with me for years. I've seen flamenco and classical techniques that don't do that, which had me a bit concerned.

I also had a thumb pick in my case which I never used before and THAT's been interesting. After about 15 minutes though, it started to come together a bit. Obviously, all this is going to take some time, but I have to unlearn a couple old habits. Fortunately, my thumb has always been somewhat detached rhythmically…and that seems to be the most important first step for 'Travis-Style'.

I'm primarily an electric guitar player, and I've noodled with some 'chicken-picking' stuff as well.

I truly appreciate all the comments and suggestions!

Craig
I never rested my little finger on the soundboard. I rested the heel of my Thumb behind the saddle on the bass side. This did the same job of keeping the hand still and making picking more accurate. After a while off acoustic guitar playing I decided to review my technique. I needed to find a way of keeping my picking hand still without touching the front.

The usual position involves resting the upper arm on the side of the guitar. The arm can pivot at the elbow and the wrist and this makes picking the correct string more difficult. It seemed to me that if I could take movement from the elbow out of the equation, accuracy would improve. I think I've succeeded.

I've adopted a standing position with a shortish strap, from end button to heel, which leaves the guitar in very much the same position as used by classical guitarists. Neck at 45 degrees and the fretting hand feels very comfortable. I rest my picking forearm on the edge of the guitar where it leads into the waist so that there is little more than 2" of forearm between the guitar and my wrist. In this position My hand is more or less over the soundhole and accuracy is not a problem.

The down sides of this position are the sharpness of the guitar side against a vulnerable part of my arm (solved with a robust leather wrist strap) and not being able to see either hand without some bending or stretching.

As to recommending modern guitarists, I'm a bit out of touch with what is happening today but from the past;

Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, Nic Jones and Martin Carthy come first to mind.

Last edited by stanron; 03-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.