View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

The post indicated that his impression of the machine was an overpriced piece of hype, where any idiot simply slaps a guitar in, close the door and push a button, twice, and rip people off, or, to quote

“the cost of the machine is based around the promotional overheads and player endorsements.
Placing a Guitar on cradle, closing a door and pressing the go button, restringing the Guitar adjusting the truss rods and pressing the go button again does not equate to charging 2.5 times what a person charges”

I’m not a huge fan of computer controlled equipment, but I do know that like any tool, an intelligent, dedicated, and properly trained operator makes a huge difference in the results acheived, and that the value and capabilities of the PLEK are not particularly well presented in that statement - nor the reality of a highly skilled luthier suffering from repetitive stress problems from doing hundreds of set-ups over their career - and I don’t thnk anyone hires shop monkeys to do their final set-ups and adjustments -

And while minor tweaks and low cost adjustments may be in order every year or two (or longer) depending on playing style and use and quality of original materials and build, a good PLEK job shouldn’t need to be redone for many years - or at least until other substantial work needs to be done -

But I don’t want to argue about it - if you really want to believe its just overhyped and overpriced junk, and handing your guitar to any old shop monkey will get you just as playable an instrument for far less money - go for it -