View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
count me in....a year or two ago i sold my last steel string guitar....the nylon-string guitars i own are capable of anything i want to play and (IMO) have many advantages over steel-string guitars---or perhaps it's that they just suit my ears/tastes/needs better.
Same here! I actually sold all my guitars / gear in order to have only one guitar, which IMO must be nylon. That's the only kind I'm interested in. I also sold everything to raise money to buy "baby gear" for my two newborn twin girls

Nylon guitars are widely used for jazz, bossa nova, folk music and many other genres besides classical. First thing that comes to my mind is Noel Stookey from Peter, Paul and Mary - he played a nylon strung guitar.

I'm not sure, but from the comments I'd say that this forum has, in its majority, American users. And a "standard" guitar in the US is a steel string guitar, I guess. From what I read, the nylon would be suited for beginners (don't agree with that) and for classical music.

I'm from Brazil and gotta say that here, when you say "guitar" you actually mean a nylon one. If you want to be specific about steel, you gotta say its "full name - steel string guitar".

Anyway, what I mean by that is: search around the web for folk music from other countries. You'll find that the nylon string guitar is a standard instrument all over the world, not only here in South America but also Asia and Europe as far as I know.

Last edited by rodmbds; 04-26-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typos