View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 AM

It may help to think of the classical guitar, especially when used to play classical music, as a different instrument than an acoustic guitar. Would not make sense to expect to be able to play a trumpet well right off the bat because I have been playing guitar for 40 years.

To be sure, classical and acoustic guitars are closer than a guitar and a trumpet, but there are still many subtle differences.

Plus, classical music is it’s own language - similar but not exactly the same as that of other styles of music played by guitar. While learning this new language I try to remember to start with easier pieces than I would if I was playing a style I was more familiar with. If I am trying to learn a more difficult piece I give myself more time, map out a whole lot more on the music page, and try not to forget what my learning curve on a piece of music looks like; months of mishmash followed by a week of it coming together so as to play it without stopping, and then weeks of working out the smoothness and musicalities.