View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Well said, casualmusic. As a former business owner, my concerns mirror yours. When I think of the work involved in making that "one off" (or even "5 off", if that many people would commit), it seems to be a no-win situation. As a small business, do you continue to make quality instruments that you know will have buyers, or do you let that work slide while you put the huge man hours into making a guitar that has a VERY limited audience.

I also agree that the public posting of this situation isn't fair. As a creative business person, Alistair obviously wants to please as many customers as possible. I don't often use the word "bullying," but this seems to be approaching that. How would people feel if Alistair were to call Evan and say, "I need you to purchase one in-stock guitar per month for the next 15 months to help finance the additional man-hours and research and development costs involved in making this one-off." People would scream that isn't fair.

Again, as a former business person, it took me a lot of years to truly understand that I DID NOT WANT every customer. It was rare, but some asked for outrageous things (to give them bragging rights) that would have been a serious interruption to our business flow. The public perception of telling a customer "no" is a concern to every business owner... but sometimes it is THE RIGHT decision for the business.

Evan, we all appreciate your "quest" but you have to be realistic. These public "Alistair shaming posts" are unfair. There is a REASON he didn't jump right on it. Yes, you have bought a number of guitars from him, but that does not give you any right to publicly declare that you want what you want and demand that he produce it. As a producer of custom instruments, he has the right to refuse any request, especially if that request is potentially detrimental to his core business. This last "turn around" on that lovely Royal Ebony nylon had to have been a slap in his face. You can call it "rent" or whatever you want, but the only winner on that particular guitar situation is Scott - he got a unique nylon guitar without a wait. You waited a long time, told us all how it was going to be "the best guitar ever, more unique than any other, a fantastic veneer (that you didn't even SEE before you got it), and regularly complained that it wasn't done yet, even though you proclaimed that it was worth the wait.

I will go on record here stating that I enjoy the cast of characters in this saga. But I have cringed with each "public call out" here. This thread is just more piling on. I am two weeks into a total hip replacement, and I am cranky. Today was the first day since the surgery that I felt up to laying down some recording tracks with all three of my Emeralds (and bass, drums, and vocals). I felt so fortunate to be able to play those great instruments, even though my dexterity and stamina are not up to standards. What I produced wasn't my finest, but it is another step forward in getting my mobility back. I was pretty darn happy until reading this thread. I expect some push-back and am willing to accept however this shakes out. I could have made a private message to Evan, but that wouldn't have the same effect. This potential custom build is between Evan and Alistair - and EITHER OF THEM have the right to refuse without it affecting anyone else.

Yeah, I know: back in my corner.

Be sure to wish the Mothers in your life kind wishes tomorrow.